This is an update with the week’s COVID-19 developments. Some of the items are reminders carried over from last week. You can always find the latest updates in our COVID-19 Update Center, as well.
This week’s updates:
- For contact tracing purposes on buses, anyone within three feet is considered to be a close contact. It had previously been six feet. This is according to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Saliva testing continues on Wednesdays at each of our schools for unvaccinated students. Currently, 94% of our eligible students are participating in testing. Due to a high volume of testing for SHIELD across the state, results might not be available for up to 48 hours. You will only be notified if your child tests positive. However, you can also access your child’s test results by signing up for the SHIELD portal.
- According to the Cook County Department of Public Health (CCDPH), non-symptomatic siblings of a student who is experiencing symptoms do not need to be sent home immediately. They will be allowed to finish the school day. However, if a student has tested positive, their siblings will still need to be sent home immediately.
- Health officials are recommending that unvaccinated individuals do not travel right now. If they do travel, it is recommended that they test 3-5 days after their return. However, unvaccinated students do not need to self-quarantine after travel and should continue attending school in person, unless they are experiencing symptoms.
- If you attended our vaccine clinic on September 20, the second dose will be administered on Tuesday, October 12. This will occur at Euclid (711 E. Euclid) from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Please continue to be diligent about keeping your child home from school if they are not feeling well. Even if symptoms are mild, or possibly unrelated to COVID, erring on the side of caution will help keep everyone healthy.
- Indian Grove is still considered to be in an “outbreak” as determined by the CCDPH. They base this on “two or more COVID-19 cases who may have a shared exposure on school grounds and are from different households.” IG fifth graders are being tested twice a week, on Wednesdays and Fridays, until further notice.
- Our COVID-19 dashboard is updated daily with the number of students and staff who test positive or are in quarantine due to exposure.
We’ll continue to send updates throughout the week when necessary. Do not hesitate to call either the district office or your school if you have any questions.