Our district's goal is to lead the way in promoting environmental sustainability within our community and schools by inspiring our students and staff to protect the environment and be responsible global citizens.
- Empower students and the community to understand their natural world and their impact on it.
- Provide opportunities for students to make connections between the science they learn and the science they experience in their natural environment.
- Create opportunities for the community and school to understand how people, energy, and the environment are dynamically interrelated.
- Promote the health and well-being of students, staff, and community.
- Instill a sense of respect and ownership of one’s environment that fosters advocacy and activism.
River Trails is consistently seeking to upgrade facilities so that they can better serve our students and be more environmentally friendly. Some recent projects include:
Prairie Trails School
From 2020 to 2021, the district completely remodeled the district's Early Learning Center and renamed it Prairie Trails School. The renovation focused on making the building better suited for our students, as well as more energy efficient and eco-friendly. Both objectives were achieved, resulting in an innovative school that houses the district's pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students, as well as becoming Mount Prospect's first net-zero energy facility. Learn more about the school and some of its features.
Euclid Parking Lot
During the Sumer of 2018, the district replaced the Euclid Elementary School parking lot and front entrance sidewalk with "permeable pavers." This is better for the environment because it reduces the impact of storm water and improves the water quality for the surrounding community. It also lasts approximately twice as long as typical asphalt paving.
The district has been the recipient of multiple awards and recognitions as a result of our sustainability efforts.
- 2021 U.S. Department of Energy Building Envelope Campaign Award
- The Retro 50 Award for retrofitting Prairie Trails School and demonstrating a building envelope improvement of 50% over the existing building, due to implementation of building envelope improvements.
- One of 14 buildings recognized nationally
- 2021 Recognition by the U.S. Department of Energy for participation in the "Better Buildings" initiative
- ENERGY STAR certification for River Trails Middle School, Euclid Elementary School and Indian Grove Elementary School
- 2015 U.S Department of Education Green Ribbon School Award for River Trails Middle School