You will be notified when there is an emergency closing. Closings will also be listed on our social media accounts and in a website alert. Unless otherwise noted, schools will be open according to the district calendar.
Inclement Weather Closure Guidelines
River Trails will follow these general guidelines when closing schools due to inclement weather:
- Schools will be closed if there is a forecasted sustained wind chill of -30 degrees Fahrenheit or colder, or when the actual temperature is a sustained -15 degrees Fahrenheit or colder between the travel times of 5:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and/or 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. We will use forecasts provided by the National Weather Service.
- For snow, ice or other weather-related closings, we will monitor the current conditions, the forecasted conditions during the travel times listed above, the ability of our staff to plow parking lots and sidewalks, as well as the ability of local municipalities to plow and make streets passable. We will also be in contact with our transportation company to assess their ability to safely run buses. In these situations, our district will also be in contact with our neighboring districts, our local and state officials, and meteorologists in order to make the most appropriate decision with the facts known at the respective time.
- If our schools will be closed, we will make the determination and notification by 5:30 a.m. on the day of the closing, knowing that you may need to arrange for childcare or further adjust your schedule. If we are able to make the determination of school closure the night before - meaning the forecast undoubtedly warrants closure - we will attempt to notify you between 6:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
- If a decision to close our schools is reached after 9:30 p.m. the night before, we will wait until the morning to send a telephone notification. In all instances, we will update our website and social media accounts as soon as a determination is made, regardless of the time of day.
- When schools are closed due to inclement weather, all extracurricular activities and school meetings are cancelled. The one exception is Board of Education meetings.
- If parents or guardians have concerns about their child safely traveling to and from school, the Illinois School Code, in addition to school policy, allows parents to call their student(s) out of school in the event that the district keeps schools open.