The River Trails School District 26 Board of Education held a meeting on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at River Trails Middle School. It was also livestreamed on our website. A recording of the full meeting is available for viewing on our YouTube page.
Here are the highlights:
- The Board announced the appointment of Becky Pfisterer to fill the seat that was vacated by Dr. Susan Stolzer. Pfisterer was sworn in by Board President William Grimpe. Her term will expire in April 2023.
- River Trails Education Association President Bob Kastner welcomed and congratulated Pfisterer and said “I’m sure you’ll be a wonderful addition to this wonderful board.” He also thanked the Board for all the work they do.
- Member Janine Freedlund saluted the teachers and staff members who have recently submitted their intent to retire. Freedlund added, “We love you all and while you’re not leaving us right away, it will be sad to see people go.”
- President Grimpe thanked the Northwest Assembly of God for graciously allowing River Trails Middle School to utilize the church parking lot while construction was being completed on the school parking lot.
- The Board recognized members of the business services department for their valuable contributions to the district. This included Melissa Galvez, Tracy Hillman, Jane Holtz and Juan Hu. Dr. Lyndl Schuster, assistant superintendent for business services, called them “a group of people that are extremely important to the district.”
- The Board held a public hearing for the 2023 fiscal year budget. Dr. Schuster gave a synopsis of the budget and said the district “responsibly uses the community taxpayer dollars to provide a high-quality education to the students.” After the public hearing was adjourned, the Board unanimously approved the budget.
- Dr. Schuster presented a proposed plan for infrastructure upgrades at Euclid and Indian Grove. The Board held a lengthy discussion regarding the plan, which can be viewed in the recording of the meeting. Ultimately, the Board voted against the proposal and asked for more information and additional options. This topic will be revisited at a future meeting.
- Freedlund, as chair of the policy committee, updated the Board on adjustments to Policy 6:60 “Curriculum Content” in regard to the district’s sexual health education program. Freedlund stressed that the adjustment simply aligns the phrasing of the policy with how the district is already conducting the program. The Board will officially vote on this change at a future meeting.
- Dr. Schuster offered an update on the district’s enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year. She said Euclid, Indian Grove and River Trails Middle School have slightly more students than were expected. However, the additional students were spread throughout all the grade levels and therefore did not affect class sizes.
The next regular board meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 18 at River Trails Middle School. You can email the board at email@example.com.