This is a weekly review of COVID-19 developments. You can always find the latest updates in our COVID-19 Update Center, as well.
This week’s updates:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the flu vaccine for all individuals aged six months and older. As you know, flu symptoms are similar to COVID symptoms. Avoiding the flu is not only beneficial for the obvious health reasons, but can also allow your child to avoid being quarantined. The CDC says getting the COVID and flu shots at the same time is safe and effective in preventing both illnesses.
- Saliva testing continues on Wednesdays at each of our schools for unvaccinated students. Results are taking slightly longer to receive due to SHIELD’s higher volume of testing throughout the state. Again, you will only be notified if your child tests positive. However, you can also access your child’s test results by signing up for the SHIELD portal.
- Indian Grove will no longer be conducting “outbreak testing.” Fifth graders will continue to test on Wednesdays with everyone else, but not on Fridays.
- Reminder: If you attended our vaccine clinic on September 20, the second dose will be administered on Tuesday, October 12. This will occur at Euclid (711 E. Euclid) from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Please continue to be diligent about keeping your child home from school if they are not feeling well. Even if symptoms are mild, or possibly unrelated to COVID, erring on the side of caution will help keep everyone healthy.
- Our COVID-19 dashboard is updated daily with the number of students and staff who test positive or are in quarantine due to exposure.
We’ll continue to send updates throughout the week when necessary. Do not hesitate to call either the district office or your school if you have any questions.