The River Trails School District 26 Board of Education held a meeting on Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at River Trails Middle School. It was also livestreamed on our website. A full recording of the meeting is available for viewing on our YouTube page.
Here are the highlights:
- To begin the meeting, kindergarten students from Prairie Trails led attendees in the Pledge of Allegiance. Following the Pledge, the students sang the Prairie Trails song.
- River Trails Education Association President Bob Kastner spoke on behalf of the union. He thanked the board and administration for a “wonderful, ongoing working relationship.”
- Board Vice President Janine Freedlund praised the recent music sharing nights at Euclid and Indian Grove. She said, “It was really great and it was a wonderful way to get all the students involved.”
- Board member Frank Fiarito previewed the RTMS musical and wished everyone well during next week’s spring break.
- Board member Robert Rognstad echoed Mr. Fiarito’s excitement for the musical, and gave credit to RTMS for all the clubs and teams offered to students.
- Kristy Seifert, assistant superintendent for teaching and learning, led a presentation to the board about math pilots conducted at Euclid, Indian Grove and Prairie Trails. The presentation included teacher and student testimonials. Following the presentation, Mrs. Seifert recommended moving forward with Bridges in Mathematics for kindergarten and Eureka Math² for the elementary schools. The board approved this recommendation for the math curriculum.
- Euclid teacher Christine Cheung requested approval from the board to submit an application for the “Students for Innovation Advocacy Day” in Springfield. The event would take place on May 10 at the Illinois State Capitol and would give four students the opportunity to help state legislators understand the innovative learning happening in Illinois classrooms. The board approved the request.
- Following a presentation from Dr. Carie Cohen, assistant superintendent for student services, the board approved the continuance of a partnership with the Link Together Coalition. This is a program dedicated to promoting healthy youth by decreasing teen alcohol and drug use.
- The board approved adjustments to the 2023-2024 staffing plan. The approval followed a presentation from Dr. Lyndl Schuster, assistant superintendent for business services, and a lengthy conversation on the issue.
- Dr. Schuster, along with Prairie Trails Principal Amy Veytsman and Director of Building and Grounds Dan Whisler, updated the board on Prairie Trails. The comprehensive presentation included in-classroom information and updates on the overall performance of the building.
- Dr. Jodi Megerle, superintendent of schools, talked about upcoming opportunities for the community to engage with the board of education.
The next regular board meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 18 at River Trails Middle School. You can email the board at email@example.com. Learn more about the board by visiting their FAQ page.