This is the COVID-19 update for Friday, January 21. It includes information about ordering free tests from the federal government and a reminder about our upcoming vaccine clinic. As always, you can visit our COVID-19 Update Center at any time for the latest.
This week’s updates:
- You can now visit covidtests.gov to order free at-home COVID tests. It is a quick and easy process. Every household in the country is eligible to receive four free tests.
- Cook County is opening a vaccination site in Des Plaines, beginning tomorrow (Saturday, January 22), at 1155 E. Oakton Street. It will be open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Walk-ins are welcome, but they are encouraging people to make an appointment at vaccine.cookcountyil.gov. Pfizer and Moderna will be offered, and you can receive primary vaccinations or booster shots.
- Our vaccine clinic is on Friday, February 4 at River Trails Middle School (1000 N. Wolf Road) from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. This will be for the Pfizer vaccine and is open to everyone in the district, including those eligible for the booster shot. You will need to make an appointment (no walk-ins) for this clinic and can do so by visiting https://kordinator.mhealthcoach.net/vcl/1642008919914. The second dose clinic will be on Friday, February 25 at River Trails Middle School.
- Everyone age 5 and older is approved for the Pfizer vaccine. Booster shots are recommended for people age 12 and older who are at least five months removed from their second dose. In addition to our clinic and the new site in Des Plaines, you can visit vaccines.gov to find local availability of the vaccine.
- Once your child is fully vaccinated (two weeks after second dose), they can be exempted from weekly saliva testing and will not have to quarantine if they are exposed to COVID (as long as they are not experiencing any symptoms). To get these benefits, you will need to inform the district that your child has been vaccinated and can do so by filling out this form. If you do not have a Google account, please submit your child’s vaccination information directly to your school’s office.
- It is expected that at some point in the near future, eligible children (age 12 and older) will need to have a booster in order to be considered “fully vaccinated.” If you have already submitted vaccine verification for your child, you can now submit their booster information by filling out this form.
- You can choose to still have your child saliva tested weekly, even if they are vaccinated. To do so, please contact your child's teacher if they attend Prairie Trails, Euclid or Indian Grove. If your child attends River Trails, please contact Mary Krall-Meske or Kyle Henkel. They will make sure your child remains on the list. Testing is conducted on Tuesdays at River Trails and Euclid, Wednesdays at Indian Grove, and Fridays at Prairie Trails. You will only be notified if your child tests positive, but can also see the results yourself by signing up for the SHIELD portal.
- Our COVID-19 dashboard is updated daily with the number of students and staff who test positive or are in quarantine due to exposure. This dashboard is updated as results are provided and may be adjusted retroactively.
- A reminder that meals can be provided for any student who is quarantining due to a positive COVID case or exposure. If interested, call 224-612-7675. Families will be able to pick up meals at River Trails Middle School, or have them delivered.
- Please continue to be diligent about keeping your child home from school if they are not feeling well. Even if symptoms are mild, or possibly unrelated to COVID, err on the side of caution.
- Be extra cautious about attending indoor gatherings or unnecessary travel at this time. Consider limiting or postponing these activities, if possible.
We will continue sending updates throughout the week when it is necessary. Do not hesitate to call either the district office or your school if you have any questions.