This is the weekly COVID-19 update for Friday, December 10. It includes some information on the Omicron variant. You can visit our COVID-19 Update Center for the latest, as well.
This week’s updates:
- A case of the Omicron variant was detected in Chicago this week. Scientists are still conducting research to fully understand the severity of the variant. The CDC says, “the recent emergence of Omicron further emphasizes the importance of vaccination and boosters.” Please visit the CDC’s website for more information about Omicron.
- As we approach Winter Break, you can find up-to-date travel guidance on the CDC website.
- The second dose vaccination clinic at Indian Grove is tonight (12/10) from 4 to 7 p.m. This requires a reservation and is only for those who attended the November 19th clinic. There are still time slots available for sign-up.
- The state of Illinois and Cook County Health are hosting vaccine events this Sunday (December 12). The closest one to our district will be held at the Arlington Heights Health Center (3250 N. Arlington Heights Road, Suite 300) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. It is open to walk-ins, no appointment necessary. Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines will be available for first and second shots, or boosters.
- Once your child is fully vaccinated (two weeks after second dose), they can be exempted from weekly saliva testing and will not have to quarantine if they are exposed to a COVID case (as long as they are not experiencing any symptoms). To get these benefits, you will need to inform the district that your child has been vaccinated and can do so by filling out this form. If you do not have a Google account, please submit your child’s vaccination information directly to your school’s office.
- If you were unable to attend our clinics, you can still get your child vaccinated by talking to your pediatrician or visiting vaccines.gov and looking for a local pharmacy that offers the Pfizer vaccine.
- For more information about the vaccine, please visit the CDC’s frequently asked questions page.
- The day for COVID testing at each school changed this week. Saliva tests are being done on Tuesdays at River Trails and Euclid, Wednesdays at Indian Grove, and Fridays at Prairie Trails. You will still only be notified if your child tests positive, but can also see the results yourself by signing up for the SHIELD portal.
- “Test to stay” is no longer an option for students who are close contacts of someone with COVID. This is due to logistical difficulties and the time-consuming nature of the program.
- A reminder that meals can be provided for any student who is quarantining due to a positive COVID case or exposure. If interested, call 224-612-7625. Families will be able to pick up meals at River Trails Middle School, or have them delivered.
- Please continue to be diligent about keeping your child home from school if they are not feeling well. Even if symptoms are mild, or possibly unrelated to COVID, erring on the side of caution will help keep everyone healthy.
- Our COVID-19 dashboard is updated daily with the number of students and staff who test positive or are in quarantine due to exposure.
We’ll continue to send updates throughout the week when necessary. Do not hesitate to call either the district office or your school if you have any questions.